Wednesday, November 19, 2008

and I thought I was cold

When I dropped Evey off at school today it was 40 degrees out. And windy. And i haven't pulled my proper coat out of the closet yet. So i'm wearing a 3/4 length sleeved jacket which is basically a glorified sweatshirt, except that the wind can go up underneath it because it's wide at the bottom.

Now, the place where Evey goes to school is pretty much a wind tunnel. It's right downtown and the entrance to her room is underneath a drive-through banking tunnel, with something like 12 stories of building above us. So the wind whips around us and we're both cold and laughing at the wind blowing so hard. I RAN back to my car after dropping her off being really cold, got in the car and turned on the radio. And heard this:

"NPR has just projected that Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich has unseated Ted Stevens for the Alaskan senate seat." They had Future Senator Begich on the phone from his victory party in Alaska - where is was so loud inside that he decided to step outside. OUTSIDE in Alaska at 5:30 AM. The senator-elect said it was 7 - that's SEVEN - degrees outside, and that he was just wearing his shirt and tie - left his jacket inside to talk to NPR on the phone. I didnt' even have the heat on in the car.

Warning - Florida makes you a sissy. DO NOT MOVE TO FLORIDA if you ever want to be able to tolerate cold again.

1 comment:

The Bek said...

True, but I bet you're much better at handling the misery of our summers now.